Friday, April 1, 2011

Favorite Writing Resources

1. For every writing need, a teacher need not look further than Purdue's OWL. It is an Online Writing Lab which has information ranging from how to format essays according to different guidelines (MLA v APA) to giving examples of how to properly use in-text citations. I have used this resource in my own writing and have used it to look up questions about how to evaluate student writing, as well. This is a resource that can answer just about every question when it comes to writing. Students could use this resource in much the same way I have: to clear up any questions a student may have when going through the writing process without their teacher readily available to help them.

2. Another website I enjoy using for lesson plans is the Web English Teacher. When it comes to generating ideas for writing topics and activities, I frequently turn to this website for help. This site includes many postings from teachers around the country. These postings are grade-specific and at times include entire unit plans. It is easy to search for subject-specific lessons and even easier to find ideas for creative writing assignments. Though I usually tweak the lessons to fit my classroom plans, this website has been a consistently-used resource for planning and implementation.

3. I have heard of other teachers speak of using EasyBib, a website that creates easy bibliographies for research papers. These teachers have encouraged students to use the resource so that they create works cited pages that are accurate and neat. I have never encouraged students to use it, but I can see how it might save them some time from having to go through the tedious process. All the students need is the book/resource information and they are good to go with generating a citation.

4. A resource I have begun using this year is a website called Turn It In. With this resource, students have a location to file their papers online. They submit an electronic version of their papers which then gets sent to the teacher with a report attached to it. The whole point of the website is to prevent plagiarism, and it does this by comparing the student essay to the millions of online essays available to try and detect any copied material. Students essays will also be compared with other essays being turned in for the same class to ensure that students are not copying off of one another. I have used the resource once this year, and it has helped me detect academic dishonesty that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. I would highly recommend this resource as a way of promoting academic integrity in your class. It also has some grading resources that, though I have not used, look like they could be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment