Thursday, April 21, 2011

Slowly Losing My Sanity

This year, I wanted to insert a research component to an essay in my classroom. Considering that this has not been a part of the 9th grade curriculum in the past, this type of assignment was long overdue. All I asked of my students was to find two outside sources that commented on some of the literature we read throughout the course of the year. They had already created a thesis, written an outline, and had feedback on both those stages. The next stage was to add to the outline with a little bit of research connecting to some of the claims of their body paragraphs. In order to give students ample time to complete the research component, I decided to take my class to the library for 3 days this week and walk them through the process.

This being the first time that they have completed research of this type, many students expressed frustration and confusion over where to start. I spent every minute in the library answering questions and helping students find appropriate resources. They learned how to use some Internet databases and use an index to find appropriate passages in print literature. It was an overwhelming experience, and with their annotated outline due on Tuesday, I am concerned about the product I will get. A lot of the questions my students asked could have been addressed on the front end of the research process, a valuable learning experience for refining the process next year.

What I learned:

1. I need to spend more time on the front end teaching students how to research. Some started to narrow, others too broad, and some were just too lazy to look very hard for relevant information. Had I addressed some research strategies on the front end, I think I could have alleviated some of the research angst from my students.

2. I need to give students better information about correctly citing sources on the front end. A lot of students were confused about which citation information to record, and I fear that when it comes time to create a works cited page, students will not have all the information they need.

3. I need to give students more examples of what I'm looking for from each stage of the essay. Because this is my first year teaching research, I will collect good student examples from this group and use them as models next year.

Overall, this part of the assignment has been challenging, but one that I want to continue doing and refining. I also want to do it during a different part of the year next year. I will be able to give the assignment more attention during the winter quarter and will make the adjustment next year.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Love the heading! How could you possibly be losing your sanity? I am a little unfamiliar to the lessons for older school-agers, however I felt that the exercise that you wanted your students to grasp came out clearly with your teaching. Even thought students seem to show frustration with your lesson, I know that it will be beneficial for your 9th graders.
    I think it is great to bring technology into your lesson plan. Students need to become familiar with internet databases and being able to locate resources properly and correctly on the internet. I do agree with you when you stated that students needed to have more background information on the front end before delivering the message you want them to understand.
    Work cited pages are extremely hard for students, I can remember when I had to look for help on the internet in order to create mine becuase my teacher couldn't give me enough information on the front end. Make sure you focus on that!
    What a great idea! I love it when teachers collect samples of students work so they can show their future students what to do on their projects. Many students are visual learners and need to see an example of the paper.
    I think you will succeed in this particular assignment. Great Job and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete